The Perils of Working at Home (...or No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!)

I'm working at home today. Yes, I'm really working. I like working here - it's a quiet or loud as I want, I don't have to shave, and I can wear sweatpants all day if I like!

An added benefit is that I can get a few things done during "down time", which would be those moments of chit-chat if I were in the office. Today, for example, I decided to do some laundry. I tossed in a load right before a 1:00 PM conference call, and by the time the call was done so was the washer. Great, I thought, I'll quickly fold what's in the dryer and throw in the load from the washer.

Not so fast!

When I entered the laundry room, I discovered that the laundry tub was quite full of water that had drained from the washer. Um, that's not supposed to happen! Normally, the water happily re-enters the hydrological cycle without any intervention on my part. Except today. When I'm working at home.

So, a good 40 minutes was lost finding the drain snake, snaking the drain, pulling up unspeakable filth and finally clearing the drain.

So, please feel free to choose a moral for this story:

1) Don't work at home!

2) When working at home, don't bother with household tasks.

3) Remind your significant other that hay and shavings from the rabbit's cage shouldn't be washed down the drain in the laundry room.

4) Any combination of (3) and the other options.

I think I'll empty the dishwasher now... :)

Comments